Unplugging in Big Bear, CA

Hello people!

This post has been long overdue. In fact, for a few weeks now. This is when Rickey and I threw some stuff in the truck, grabbed the dogs, and decided to make this our last long weekend getaway to the mountains before we’d officially “graduate” from a twosome to a threesome (or foursome to a fivesome, if you want to count in the dogs).


In hopes of getting a little bit of the fall ambiance, we were en route to Big Bear. It’s a very popular spot for skiing in winter, as it’s only about a two and a half hour drive away. We jammed out in the car and were both ecstatic about a little getaway. Obviously, we talked all things baby and shared our thoughts about becoming parents so soon. I don’t think I can fully wrap my head around what it means to be a mom. But I know I cannot wait.


On the drive up to the mountains, we also had a very serious talk about the middle name situation of our son. Not really a thing in Germany, I have come to realize that middle names are very common here. Basically everyone has one. We had three meaningful ones in mind but really could not decide. But we knew it should just be one middle name and not a bunch of them. We don’t want to make it too hard for our little one later in life, haha.

It was so special: The last getaway before a new chapter would begin and we both, very confidently, agreed on what our son’s middle name would be. Such a relief … that I started bawling (but what’s new anyway - I can’t even blame it on the pregnancy, hehe).

So, yes, that’s that. Another decision we had successfully made. And we are feeling more than good about it. Obviously, the full name release will happen when little bubbas is born.

When we arrived at our cabin in the afternoon, the sun was shining, the sky clear blue, but the air definitely crisper. I miss that in San Diego. You guys might know by now how much of a fall fan I am. But, on the other hand, I shouldn't complain about mild temperatures all year round in the city I call home.

We dropped our bags off and went for a little walk towards the lake.


The rest of the day was spent wandering in the woods, taking a nap, and heading to The Village for some dinner.

In the morning, we went and got some breakfast; the weather was wonderful. We went down to the lake for an extensive walk. Some fresh air, peace and quiet - just what we needed.

I am always having this inner struggle of “mountains or sea”? I guess you want to have whatever is not at your fingertips. But in this regard I have to say that we’re pretty lucky with where we live. Even though temperatures don’t allow for actual seasons, we do have easy access to the mountains.


The afternoon was spent snoozing, spending some time lounging around, having a hot beverage or two, and eventually getting outside again for a little hike. All easy-peasy - just as the bump was feeling it.


We laughed a lot and enjoyed our quality time together. It was special.

(Even though the mattress was horrible and sort of made us look forward to our own one. What can I say? We’re firm mattress people. Soft is our death. Haha.)

The weather couldn’t have been nicer and I was having serious fall feels.

On Sunday after breakfast and another slow walk, soaking in the ambiance, we made our way back to SD. Back to beginning a new chapter - or continuing to prepare for it. Surreal.

As I am writing this, I am feeling both so excited and nostalgic. Soon we will be able to welcome our little one into this crazy, beautiful world. We will have found our life’s purpose. I am so thrilled for the adventures we’ll be taking him on. And just as my parents always kept all doors open for me and my brother do I want to encourage our German-American boy to embrace the world with an open heart and mind.

For our German-American couple life, follow @bell_ventures. 


Sign up for the wanderlust list below, going out this Sunday (a round up once a month incl. exclusive content and behind the scenes!).

Also, tag along on InstagramPinterest, and Twitter